You are currently browsing the daily archive for 24/11/2010.

A brief message from the Heritage Action team:

We should like to draw attention to our submission guidance for articles & comments (see link at the top of the page). In view of some comments posted to the Journal recently, it is appropriate to clarify that the Journal is not a democracy. It is part of a conservation website set up to promote and facilitate our own conservation agenda to the very best of our ability, not a facility provided to enable public debate upon whether conservation is important – so postings that advocate any other approaches to heritage or otherwise (in our judgement) conflict with or adversely impact upon our aims are never welcome. Consequently we reserve the right to exercise editorial control over all comments (although we do so as sparingly as possible). In addition, spurious comments from posters using multiple aliases or email addresses in an attempt to obfuscate their true intentions or views are never acceptable.

Please bear the above in mind as we will take it from now on that any comments received signify that the conditions have been understood and accepted by their authors and we will not be entering into any discussions on any editorial actions we may judge necessary.

Many thanks.


Suton Hoo burial mound
Image credit Moss

Writing in the East Anglian Daily Times, Andrew Clarke, Arts Editor, reports that –

“It’s like stepping back in time. The Sutton Hoo Visitors Centre has unearthed a host of new, historically important treasures. Like the original ship burial, this remarkable find has laid unseen and forgotten for a long time. Tucked away in a dusty storeroom were a couple of fairly nondescript cardboard boxes. Inside these unprepossessing packages were a photographic treasure trove which sheds new light on the discovery and the excavation of the Sutton Hoo ship burial. Inside the boxes were more than 400 photographs taken during the summer of 1939 by two visiting school teachers Barbara Wagstaff and Mercie Lack.

““The colour pictures, in-particular, give us a real sense of a window into the past. For the first time we can see the coloured stains in the sand left by the rust from the rivets, we can see the impressions and the discolourations made in the sand by the wood and just as importantly it offers us a view of the excavation process.””*

An exhibition Captured on Camera: The Summer of 1939 of the photographs runs at Sutton Hoo, Woodbridge, Suffolk, from 23 November 2010 until 20 March 2011. For opening times and further details visit or telephone 01394 389700.

* More here –


November 2010

Follow Us

Follow us on Twitter

Follow us on Facebook

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 10,803 other subscribers

Twitter Feed

%d bloggers like this: