With the independent facilities soon proving convenient, popular, and relied upon by visitors and passing motorists alike, a cafe appeared in the Stonehenge landscape in 1927. Yet within a month of serving the first teas in July that year, the cafe was apparently targetted for demolition. The catalyst was a land grab in the vicinity of the stones – a public appeal was launched requesting that cheques be made out to the National Trust (Stonehenge Fund).

Now owned by the National Trust this land, which witnessed the opening of the very first dedicated Stonehenge car park in 1935 followed by the demolition of the Stonehenge Cafe, is now promoted by the charity as ‘The Stonehenge Landscape’!

It is currently proposed to spend £2 billion of public money to remove tarmac from this National Trust land alone and introduce a road tunnel that inflicts damaging cuttings on either side within the boundaries of UNESCO’s Stonehenge & Avebury World Heritage Site (WHS).

Should Stonehenge lose its WHS status due to this road tunnel, the National Trust’s ‘Stonehenge Landscape’ is ripe to take centre stage. Within a century of the Stonehenge Café being demolished, the National Trust could even open the charity’s own Stonehenge Visitor Centre complete with a shop and café.